Skip to main content

Pay to Play or Renegade the Route

 H  appy Friday All,


     I think my title today conveys a trend I am seeing or maybe I am imposing my thoughts on people.  Cycling is already an expensive hobby.  It use to be a Lawyer/Doctor hobby but in recent years, it has been spreading its tentacles to the middle class.  Gravel has helped this along.  Gravel use to be the Starving Artist genre of cycling, but I think race prices have shown it to be the other end of the spectrum.  I am not sure who the starving artist genera of cycling goes to these days, but I would lean to baggers.  Baggers, not bike packers, bike packers equipment generally costs more than my car.   

    I am often reminded of a childhood friend.  We use to skateboard and push our plywood around the small town.  We would dress in Alien Workshop, Plan B, and Raw Vibes attire.  Then one day, my buddy came out of the house wearing GAP.  We all gave him guff, and he looked at us and simply said, "These clothes were cheaper than yours."  We sat back and realized he probably was right.  The skater image we were sold by Transworld and other skateboarding magazines.  The lesson I learned was people are always selling an image.  

    With inflation rising, the question I ponder is, "Is it unethical to ride a published route the day before an event?"  In some cases you can save the registration fee.  In other ways if you are running support for someone, you can make it a fruitful trip for you.  Will this trend catch on?  Or will the trend become anti-establishment people riding courses day or days prior to an event.  So if you do the same exact course, are you the same as the person who did it on race day, barring little difference in weather conditions.  

    People do this now, they will ride legs or sections of The Divide.  People also will try to find Trans Iowa routes and section ride them in Iowa.  This is not new, but to do it in the same time window, is it ethical?  My short answer is yes.  If the route is published and is made know, then it is on the event to do a better job guarding it.  The rider themself actually lessens the burden for the race.  The race is clearly not responsible for the early rider.  I am kind of in favor of it.  The point of a race is a few things.  One to drive awareness to the area.  Secondly, bring in outside business to the area.  Thirdly, depending on who you are, you may even advertising for the event on your social media and Strava.  I will say, it is poor form to do this day of the event.  Be a payee on the day of an event and not a poacher.  

    Do I see this trend growing?  I do see this trend increasing, in fact it may already be a sub culture of people.  Someone may be riding, Mid-South, SBT Gravel, Big Sugar and Unbound without registering.  The roads are generally public, a race may have some private roads in it.  If they do, re-route yourself around this.  I found a private road in Arkansas.  I re-routed myself around it, and avoided an issue of Trespassing.  Plus if you do poach a route the day prior, you will be a popular person at the breakfast table the day of.  You can also hang around town as the event goes on.


Cheers and Godspeed

Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

#BikeIowaCity with Core4

 P ost 36:     Iowa cycling will be getting a new  race.  Reading the early information teases, I can tell you three things.  The race is named Core 4 , it will be on the 27th of August, 2022, and it will be inspired by the  Rule of Three race.         I am excited by being able to go to a race that has a distance of 100miles, and riding tarmac, gravel and single track from Sugar Bottom to Coralville.  I am not sure where the start and finish line, but I know the general area it will be in.       For now race fans, I would say plan on a 40mm or wider tire.  I am guessing it will be a 100 mile-ish course with some of the charting I have seen.  For now as information comes out, I would encourage following they Instagram account Core4.bike or follow the Hashtags #core4gravel and #bikeiowacity.  Cheers and Godspeed Dave