Skip to main content

Pondering a Bikepacking Trip

        It is August, which means we are in the middle of peak riding season.  It is also the time you realized you let another summer slip by without a "real" adventure.  I am pondering a 24-36hr bike packing trip.  I am looking at riding the Root River Trail in Southern Minnesota.  

    Granted it will not compare to riding around the Western Rockies in British Columbia.  But why do we bike pack?  For each person that is a separate answer.  For me it is to be removed from my daily life.  It is a way for me to spend a lot of time outside and reminds me of my childhood in the country.  
    I am even pondering just doing a sub-24hr ride from my house and camp along the CVNT (Cedar Valley Nature Trail) at a State Park near LaPorte City.  I have in the past bandit camp along the Katy Trail when training for Trans Iowa in late fall.  When I bandit camp it is not really a big deal, just pull off on the trail to a park bench on the path in the dark.  I figure if an park official comes along and says something to me as I am camping at 10pm-5am I will most likely be told to keep it moving.  I know others who when they do illegally camp, go to great lengths to camouflage and hide.  I figure if you are going to lengths you make an appearance that you are up to no good.  The chances of someone coming down the bike path in a remote area on a week night and being upset at me in a sleeping bag is slim.  
    During the BC Epic 1000, the four of us came in to a Provincial Park at 1am, to find we were confused on where we could camp.  We also had been riding since 6am.  So we were not exactly sharp.  I saw a large tree in an open area.  I said lets bivy there.  We crashed a for three hours and were gone by 5am.  Point is, keep it simple and be in and out and do not hang around.  
    Please do not take my adventures as the gospel on how to bandit camp.  I know I am teaching illegal behavior and one should always try to abide by the policies of the local area.  What I am showing is how to have the least amount of impact to an area.  I have yet to be confronted by an official and I imagine if I was, I would be told to pack and keep it moving.  I keep my set up simple and sometimes do not even break out a bag.  I try to make bivy as simple as possible to show that it is a temporary situation.  If you break out a tent, I think you are conveying a different thought.  Also by using a bench area in middle of no where, you are blurring the lines of the spots intent, but you are also in an area you are suppose to be.  
    I do not advocate trespassing on private land.  A few things upset me, and that is an area I have issue with.  I will not trespass on private land.  To me there is no good excuse other life emergencies too.  If you are trespassing out of convivence you are showing disrespect to the land owner.  If you think about it, when you are out on the bike on a gravel road and you go up a driveway to a house an ask for water you are trespassing.  Now would the Sheriff arrest you, probably not.  Do I go up to a house an ask for water?  I have not, but I have gone up to a house and had people lock up their dogs because the dog was running along with me and wanted to go for a ride.  So i turn around an run the dog back to the home an ask politely they keep the dog inside for 5 minutes and give me time to depart.  I have yet to hostile incident, in fact the owner understands.  
    Back to my bike packing trip idea.  What ever I decide on doing is going to be last minute and short.  But I am wanting something to that gets me in to the summer nights.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

#BikeIowaCity with Core4

 P ost 36:     Iowa cycling will be getting a new  race.  Reading the early information teases, I can tell you three things.  The race is named Core 4 , it will be on the 27th of August, 2022, and it will be inspired by the  Rule of Three race.         I am excited by being able to go to a race that has a distance of 100miles, and riding tarmac, gravel and single track from Sugar Bottom to Coralville.  I am not sure where the start and finish line, but I know the general area it will be in.       For now race fans, I would say plan on a 40mm or wider tire.  I am guessing it will be a 100 mile-ish course with some of the charting I have seen.  For now as information comes out, I would encourage following they Instagram account Core4.bike or follow the Hashtags #core4gravel and #bikeiowacity.  Cheers and Godspeed Dave