Skip to main content

 Post #8 

Upkeep and Giving Back.



As cyclist we do enjoy a lot of liberties the average bear does not get to have.  We ride our bikes on the tarmac, gravel, dirt, and snow.  We sometimes get special land use permits and go where others have to work harder to go to.  We can see awe inspiring things, in less time than it would take to hike or walk in.  I have shared bike paths with ATVs in Canada (yes dual use).  Shared bike paths with horses in Missouri, and as always if a bike is allowed, generally there is a pedestrian or runner about.  In most bike environments, we are the item that can do the most damage, and with eBikes coming more common, that weight of the pedal unit will only increase and we will cause more damage. So when it comes to our infrastructure we have that is car-less and we are the larger threat to others, it behooves us to take care of it.  So locally we had a washout on the bike path in George Wyth SP, it has been left repaired for about 3 or 4 years now.  Money was allocated to repairing it, then more floods hit, then the money went unused and went elsewhere.  A effort exists to push more private funding for the repair, and this is my feeble attempt and helping that effort.  Other people are doing the large muscle movements, I am just chirping and posting a link.  And if you ever see Roger White's pint glass low, buy him another beer.  That man does a lot of behind scenes work to keep what we have here in the Cedar Valley better than it was yesterday.  So without further adieu follow this link and consider donating.  Join / Donate | Cedar Trails Partnership

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

Been off On Vacation and other Adventures

   Since my last post I have been off on vacation.  The Guitar Ted HoF ride occurred, and was a success.  I define success as one other person showing up.  I am not in to huge numbers and huge social media following.  I am not one to make something bigger than it is, of the best of the best.  I just  want simplicity, put a date, time, location out and see what occurs.  Mark did a great recap of the ride, and I am sure if you are reading this blog.  You probably read Mark's and you read his re-cap.       Since then, Mark and I have launched another podcast, I believe episode #96, by end of the month I hope we have #99 recorded, but that is if we have viable stuff to chat about.  That should cover Riding Gravel Radio Ranch podcast .  So far, I need to be more crisp on my responses and thoughts.  You are getting my hot takes on what Guitar Ted (Mark) brings up.  I do not see his sheets or notes prior to the show.  So I read his blog, because that should give me an idea of what he want