Skip to main content

Today was a Good Day

 

Post #17: I went for an early ride this morning.  I rolled out of the house in Covington around 7am.  I left early to escape the heat that was coming mid-day. 

    I was about a mile from the house when a rider appeared from Old State Road, we waved and I went due south to Silver Lake Road for the 3 mile long climb to La Grange Road.  It took me about 17 minutes, but once there I turned to the east to Geneseo.  
       I never have been over that way. I had concerns about shoulder widths on the roads.  With that said, I planned the route down Jones Bridge Road, and hoped to see the Boyd and Parker Tree.  Being that I was crossing the Genesee River I thought the tree was close to its' banks.  I came out to the highway about a mile from the bridge and discovered my memory is faulty and the tree was about a 1/2 mile the other direction.  I have seen the tree a thousand  times, but never by bike.  
    I climbed the road and passed a cyclist on the climb.  After I passed her I came to a traffic light and was stopped.  She caught up to me and this intersection is tricky it is not a clean intersection.  It is a T-intersection with a 45 degree right hand turn.  I pulled up on the white line on the shoulder, and she worked her way down the intersection to the right more to have less traffic to cross with.  I am still pondering whom was safer.  My thought was being visible to cars making the right hand turn who may drive the shoulder.  If a car had, they would have hit her.  But she had the shortest line to cross the intersection with.  I am still pondering who was safer.  
    I carried on after the light turned green and strolled into downtown Geneseo.  I saw the bear is still in the downtown fountain.  I pushed trough downton and left to the North and hopped on a gravel road called Nations Road.  I think the name is tied to the Iroquois.  I saw a road that headed off to the west to the Genesee River.  I decided to take it to see an old bridge maybe.  I did not know the road existed.  I got a 1/4 mile down it to see a dead end sign.  I U-turned and went back the gravel road that became a paved road.  When I popped out, it was behind a another cyclist.  I hunkered down and passed him.  I then went into Fowlerville and then into York, then I came home via downtown Pavilion.  
    Today was a good day, I saw people out enjoying Western New York.

Cheers and Godspeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

Been off On Vacation and other Adventures

   Since my last post I have been off on vacation.  The Guitar Ted HoF ride occurred, and was a success.  I define success as one other person showing up.  I am not in to huge numbers and huge social media following.  I am not one to make something bigger than it is, of the best of the best.  I just  want simplicity, put a date, time, location out and see what occurs.  Mark did a great recap of the ride, and I am sure if you are reading this blog.  You probably read Mark's and you read his re-cap.       Since then, Mark and I have launched another podcast, I believe episode #96, by end of the month I hope we have #99 recorded, but that is if we have viable stuff to chat about.  That should cover Riding Gravel Radio Ranch podcast .  So far, I need to be more crisp on my responses and thoughts.  You are getting my hot takes on what Guitar Ted (Mark) brings up.  I do not see his sheets or notes prior to the show.  So I read his blog, because that should give me an idea of what he want