Skip to main content

The Gravel Promenade Re-cap

 

Post #22:  8am sharp we turned the pedals out of Dinosaur Park.  The band of three gravel riders took the start of the inaugural Gravel Promenade.  Believe me when I say this was a Galactic Premier Gravel Event.  If you did not attend, you missed out on being on the ground floor of a fabulous and well organized event.  Seriously, it was just a bike ride, and it was nothing special.      

    We had a bit of rain the night before, so we avoided Petrie Level B road with the thought that soil retains moisture and it would not be good to get the bikes all muddied up at the beginning of the ride.  With that said, we went east towards LaPorte City.

    Before we got into LaPorte City we took a jaunt south of town and explored a B-Road called 13th road.  It looked like it recently had grader work done on it.  As we rode we realized the roads were extremely dusty and were confident that B roads would be rideable.  And shockingly it was bone dry and in need of rain to settle the freshly graded dirt.  

    As we closed in on LaPorte City, I asked if we wanted a doughnut stop? It was decided we needed a Casey's stop instead.  So we cut through and old hotel parking lot to avoid HWY 218.  We went through the parking lot, it became clear the hotel has seen better days.  It is in needed of being leveled.  As we sat outside of Casey's, I asked a rider if they had even been in Dewar.  His response was no.  So I decided to cut the route short after Jesup to get this man a Busch Latte at Dewar Tap.  Off to 

    Off to Jesup wen went.  We came across some surprise chip and seal roads.  These roads are on the county map as gravel, but they are now chip and seal.  The road becomes gravel after a county park and a intersection.  We turned north to Jesup and found a section of Taramac that was relatively new.  We pedaled into Jesup's Casey's.

    After the Casey's stop in Jesup, we went north a few miles then went due west in to the thriving metropolis of Dewar.  Not much in Dewar, other than a grain bin, community center and the Dewar Tap.  It has been a few years since my last visit.  It was the type of place you swore had saw dust on the floor and the bathroom toilets always ran, in order to keep the smell down in the urnial they always had ice in it.  Since that time, it has been gutted and dressed up.  It felt weird not seeing the bras strewn across the bar and the $1 had been removed from the ceiling.  All things change, and this time, i think it was for the better.  But the old way it was had a petinia to it, that was desirable.  

    We had two beers and left to finish the ride at Anton's in Waterloo.  We came in on Newell street from the east.  We took it to 4th street.  4th Street may of be torn up, but we road the gravel over the tracks and left the construction area.  We finished out the ride at Anton's.  It was a good abbreviated ride.  A lot of new roads to me were ridden.  


Cheers and Godspeed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

Been off On Vacation and other Adventures

   Since my last post I have been off on vacation.  The Guitar Ted HoF ride occurred, and was a success.  I define success as one other person showing up.  I am not in to huge numbers and huge social media following.  I am not one to make something bigger than it is, of the best of the best.  I just  want simplicity, put a date, time, location out and see what occurs.  Mark did a great recap of the ride, and I am sure if you are reading this blog.  You probably read Mark's and you read his re-cap.       Since then, Mark and I have launched another podcast, I believe episode #96, by end of the month I hope we have #99 recorded, but that is if we have viable stuff to chat about.  That should cover Riding Gravel Radio Ranch podcast .  So far, I need to be more crisp on my responses and thoughts.  You are getting my hot takes on what Guitar Ted (Mark) brings up.  I do not see his sheets or notes prior to the show.  So I read his blog, because that should give me an idea of what he want