Skip to main content

Wahoo and Kuat

 Post #24:  I am stepping into another area of the bloggersphere.  I recently had a product issue with my Wahoo Roam and I purchased a Kuat Sherpa bike rack.  

    I bought a Wahoo Roam in 2020 I believe on April 1st or 2nd.  It has been well over a year since the purchase when I had an issue.  I went out for a road ride on a hot sunny Sunday.  Mid ride I saw a blind spot develop about the size of two pencil erasers in the bottom right.  It was so low in the bottom right I was not annoyed by it at first.  Two rides later, I was extremely annoyed by it.  I sent an email to Wahoo support.  They answered my complaint ticket, verified date of purchase, verified my mailing address, and I sent pictures of the issue.

    Wahoo Support sent my a shipping label a day later.  I boxed up the old unit and shipped it back.  The following morning I was sent a notification of a replacement unit shipping notice.  I had a new unit in my hands in 1.5 weeks from the time of the complaint ticket being filed till the end.  I am sorry, I find that to be impressive.  

    I have owned a few Wahoo products.  The Wahoo Heart Rate monitors I feel are superior to Garmin and Polar.  They pair easy to devices that are not Wahoo, and the strap lasts for me about 3 to 4 years.  I have owned an Element before and I had to warranty that one as well.  Except I had to warranty for the altimeter being faulty.  Again I had the same fast replacement service.  I think overall I have a good track record with Wahoo.  To me if you are Garmin or Wahoo, pick one eco system and go with it.  Overall I think they are very comparable, and unless you have a real desire to be picky over some trivial detail, they are pretty much the same.

    I bought a Kuat Sherpa rack from Sugar Bottom Bikes in North Liberty Iowa.  I have used it a few times now.  I have a few critiques but I think I already know the responses I will get from Kuat.  As a former process engineer, I am confident in the why's, but it still is the way I think.  The rear tire tray I find weird.  I wished they would of utilized the rear tray system they have on the Trio.  It is a simple piece of plastic that slides the length of the rail that adjusts to the length of the bike.  The second pic shows Kuat's rear tire tray on the Sherpa.  I believe this is done this way to do a few things.  

    Number one is to use less extruded Aluminum and lessen the over  all length of the bike tray.  This allows for the Sherpa to be more small compact car friendly when not in use.  You do not have bike rack over hang on the car when the bike carrier is not in use.  The second reason is to anchor the rear wheel firmly so the front tire hook can clamp better.  If the rear is firm and not moving it helps reduce the front tire clamping pressures needed.  

     In the 1st picture you can see the bike carrier spaces the bikes fairly well.  You can look at the blue soma bike and see the distance from the pedal to my Twin Six FSU bike crank.  It is about an inch clearance.  This carrier is design for a boost and narrow Q factor bikes.  A fat bike with tires over 3.1 wide, will not fit on this rack due to the front wheel cups.  Again those got back to keeping the carrier lite and narrow for compact cars (My Assumption).

    Overall I am really impressed with the Sherpa. The feature of putting compression in the trailer hitch tube to provide an anti-rocking measure is awesome.  A few turns of a rubber knob and all the slack is removed and the bike carrier is no longer rocking.  It gives you confidence in the set up when the hitch is not loose.  This is my second Kuat product and every time I feel the product is extremely detailed and well thought out.

Cheers and Godspeed. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

#BikeIowaCity with Core4

 P ost 36:     Iowa cycling will be getting a new  race.  Reading the early information teases, I can tell you three things.  The race is named Core 4 , it will be on the 27th of August, 2022, and it will be inspired by the  Rule of Three race.         I am excited by being able to go to a race that has a distance of 100miles, and riding tarmac, gravel and single track from Sugar Bottom to Coralville.  I am not sure where the start and finish line, but I know the general area it will be in.       For now race fans, I would say plan on a 40mm or wider tire.  I am guessing it will be a 100 mile-ish course with some of the charting I have seen.  For now as information comes out, I would encourage following they Instagram account Core4.bike or follow the Hashtags #core4gravel and #bikeiowacity.  Cheers and Godspeed Dave