Skip to main content

CIRREM

Post #34: 
I registered for CIRREM. Usually I do not bother with this race due to the registration timing and my Thanksgiving plans. This year was a bit different. CIRREM is one of the first gravel races I have ever done, and I think this year is either year 14 or 15. It has a history of gnarly weather, it can be a blizzard to 70 degrees and sunny. One year the roads were iced over and slick, and only handful of people finished. After my NY trip home, I found out registration was still open. So, I signed up. I am in the open class with 110 other fellows. Not a big deal, I will just be happy to finish in under 4.5hrs. I am way out of shape, and I need to drop a few pounds. Also, I have other training goals in the works. This race is just and excuse to visit Des Moines and see some old friends more than anything. 
    CIRREM course has remained mostly unchanged over the years. It has had some small modifications over time. But I will say this about CIRREM. CIRREM is true to the roots of gravel racing. Yes, people win using road racing tactics, other years it is a year of attrition. Yes, people show up with the latest and greatest. But the magic pixie dust has always been the people who raced and who heckled. I think the last year I raced CIRREM was 2016, and that year was a warm year. 
    CIRREM use to cap the registration at 65 people, because that is what will fit in Cummings Tap. These days it is wide open and taking on all on-comers. Will this change the event? I do not think it will matter. CIRREM has always been like the ground hog for the Des Moines bike community. Half the people at CIRREM were not racers or riders, but friends of the entrants in the field. I think the Race Directors have a pulse on this event and let it unfold naturally. I have been at races where the race promoters went into stores and bars and asked people to come to the finish line to cheer on the winner. This was for the photo opportunity and had nothing to do with the race. That is not the case at CIRREM. You will find some car pulled off some where or driving up to asking one question. “Do you want Prairie Fire?” That is a local version of fireball, so the serious level at this race is at a 3 out of 10. 
    I will depart with these words. CIRREM is what you want it to be, like much in life. 



Thanks and Godspeed 
Dave

Comments

  1. Pretty fair assessment of CIRREM. It and the Gent's Race seem to have a similar vibe. I did CIRREM once as well, but the year I did it it was 28° and there was three inches of fresh snow on the roads!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

#BikeIowaCity with Core4

 P ost 36:     Iowa cycling will be getting a new  race.  Reading the early information teases, I can tell you three things.  The race is named Core 4 , it will be on the 27th of August, 2022, and it will be inspired by the  Rule of Three race.         I am excited by being able to go to a race that has a distance of 100miles, and riding tarmac, gravel and single track from Sugar Bottom to Coralville.  I am not sure where the start and finish line, but I know the general area it will be in.       For now race fans, I would say plan on a 40mm or wider tire.  I am guessing it will be a 100 mile-ish course with some of the charting I have seen.  For now as information comes out, I would encourage following they Instagram account Core4.bike or follow the Hashtags #core4gravel and #bikeiowacity.  Cheers and Godspeed Dave