Skip to main content

Is the Cycling Industry Really Good For the Earth?

     An observation of a market that is contradictory of sorts.  Cycling Businesses like to push the narrative of the green and earth safe sport of cycling.  In recent months I have had a quandary of sorts.  I am on the Cedar Valley Bike Collective board.  And I have taken upon myself to source a way or method of disposing of unusable bikes and components in a responsible manner.
    We had a change over in staff at the shop and we have uncovered some past practices that are less than ideal.  As I have dove into the basement of the Collective I have found boxes of used tires tucked away, and inner tubes strewn about.  I have also gone through numerous bikes that have been cannibalized and had parts re-purposed elsewhere.  Those bikes are barely rolling frames.
    During my adventure of sorting through the inventory, I realized we had a lot of unusable bikes fit for the road.  How ever some old bikes have a vibe to them.  They could be sold as new category of bike.  The Garden Bike category was born.  Okay, Garden Bike is a special way to say yard art.  
    The Garden Bike is a bike that appears to be functional from afar.  In reality it is a rolling frame that has saddle, controls, and all major components.  The tires most likely are dry rotted and the chain may or may not exist.  But the bike itself gives off a vibe and could be placed in ones garden or yard to give it character.  In short, I am repurposing these bikes to be yard decorations.
    So the Garden Bike allowed me an outlet to sell a bike for a few dollars and keep the bike out of the landfill.  The two main goal of the bike collective is to help the under served and to keep bikes out of landfills.  For years, the staff would tear the bikes down completely to a frame.  I have wheels in basement, and tires and tubes hanging everywhere.  Frames of bikes in random places.  Seat posts and handlebars jammed into over filled boxes.  You can see a bone yard of bikes with no discernable logic other than hoarding.  Thankfully I have fellow board members who can haul things to the scrap yard as we go through the madness.  If I understand correctly, we have scrapped out 3 tons of bikes since early December.  This is one bike collective amassing this much stuff, and we are about half way through the deep cleaning we need to do.  Scraping out bikes is not ideal to me, but at least I have the assumption the metal will go through a sorting process and be melted into something new.   
    This leaves me with the tubes and tires.  For now I think I have a solution for the tubes.  I am going to try upcycling the tubes to a location in Colorado.  I think I can dispose of 20 tubes responsibly for $10.  That leaves me with about 100 bicycle tires I need to dispose of.  I have searched the depths of duck duck go.  I have seen similar blogs and followed the leads that others offered up.  I have reached out to other bike collectives in the area.  I am baffled that the most environmentally unfriendly item cyclist have is almost impossible to recycle without paying.  I am not being cheap (Yes, I am), but trying to manage a budget on a non-profit budget is making this challenging.  I can contact a rubber tire recycling company and coordinate a pick up.  They will have to drive 4 hours round trip to pick up and then I pay by weight.  The most economical option I have, that I do not like is paying $4 a tire at the local landfill.  They in turn will collect a load of tires, then contact the aforementioned rubber tire recycling company to collect them.  
    Recycling tires has proven to be problematic and costly for the bike collective.  $400 may not be a lot to most people and businesses.  But when you are trying to keep the books balanced and making the local cycling community better, that $400 changes how we do business.  I am actually more amazed the cycling tire manufactures are not offering a service of sorts.  I believe Schwalbe has something, but that is in Europe.  Other stateside locations that claim to do it, are a few states away.  Trust me, I have felt like recreating the Seinfeld episode of taking the pop cans to Michigan.  In that scenario, I will make Guitar Ted, Neuman ;)    
    I know I am ranting about tires, and I usually just cut mine own personal ones up and toss in the garbage.  I have been re-visiting that practice completely once I was faced with piles of unusable tires.  It is one of those things in life that your perception does not consider things till confronted.  I think as a consumer going forward I am going to challenge the cycling industry to be better stewards of the environment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A glimpse behind the podcast

       If you know you know Guitar Ted and I have been doing a lot of Podcasting in the last year.  I can hear the improvements already.  I have my issues, and I tend to over speak Mark way more than I should.  In my defense, some pauses seem to be extraordinarily long and feels like dead air.  So I interject.  Then I listen back and I hear no pause  In the moment it seems like a life time has passed. We chat over text messages about topics or subjects we are interested in or exploring.  That is how we develop our subjects for a show.  I have asked for and I really want to do a interview with a specific person that may be controversial.  But I am also ignorant to a lot of things, so maybe the time is never right for that interview, who knows?  I do enjoy some of the feed back from the shows.  The ones I love is "not enough time spent on a topic".  I enjoy those comments.  I really want to say, you sir are correct that is intentional.  If we dove into topics fully, we would be

The Dave Roll Waterloo Christmas Light Ride on 29th of November

     Yes, we are starting a Waterloo Christmas ride. It is not intended to do anything other than be a reason to ride a bike a short distance and be around others. The length is a whopping 3 miles. To sum that is more miles than they have rode for the previous 10 years. That is the person I want there. If you want to bang out miles and demonstrate your cycling skills, there is a ride in Cedar Falls on the 5th of December for that.  I believe they are meeting up 6pm and leaving from Overmen Park.       When: 29 November 2023 @ 6pm      Where: Kingsley Elementary School parking lot.  On the street parking is fine, look for No Parking sides.      Route: Link Here on Strava App      Ending: Lighthouse Lounge, bring a bike lock.   Parking is extremely limited, Also it is a Cash Only Bar.      See what happens this year, and may be this grows, who knows.  I started the Cedar Falls one, and it has taken off.  I am not aware of a Waterloo one.  If one exists, my bad, not competing, just not aw

#BikeIowaCity with Core4

 P ost 36:     Iowa cycling will be getting a new  race.  Reading the early information teases, I can tell you three things.  The race is named Core 4 , it will be on the 27th of August, 2022, and it will be inspired by the  Rule of Three race.         I am excited by being able to go to a race that has a distance of 100miles, and riding tarmac, gravel and single track from Sugar Bottom to Coralville.  I am not sure where the start and finish line, but I know the general area it will be in.       For now race fans, I would say plan on a 40mm or wider tire.  I am guessing it will be a 100 mile-ish course with some of the charting I have seen.  For now as information comes out, I would encourage following they Instagram account Core4.bike or follow the Hashtags #core4gravel and #bikeiowacity.  Cheers and Godspeed Dave